What are getset services?
This is what we are starting to call the early help and support for children, young people and their families in Somerset.
It includes all the things you can currently find through Children’s Centres and eventually it will include much more. At the moment the support is mostly for children aged under five and their families, including things like pre-birth parenting classes, health visitor support and parent support groups.
All that good work will carry on. And with getset we are starting to bring together all the other help that’s available for anyone with children aged under 19.
We are working with partners such as health, schools, district councils, housing associations and charities to offer a range of extra support depending on what people want in their local area.
That could mean anything from help with school attendance and healthy eating, to advice on finding a job and understanding what benefits you’re entitled to.
Much of this help is already out there provided by different organisations. getset is about bringing it all together under one name and making sure everyone is working together to give you what you need, when and where you need it.
It’s already happening in some places and our aim is to make sure it’s happening everywhere.
What does getset mean for you?
You won’t see a big change straight away – getset is just starting. But the help and support you already get through your Children’s Centre will continue and you’ll start to find more becoming available.
This extra support might be in your Children’s Centre or somewhere nearer to where you live.
It could be benefits advice from your Children’s Centre, a breast-feeding clinic in your local village hall, or parenting classes in a local library.
Whatever and wherever it is, you’ll be able to find out about it where you see the getset sign.
You can find out more about the help and support already available and how we see getset services developing in the future by clicking here, or:
Speak to a member of staff in your Children’s Centre.
Telephone Somerset Direct on 0845 345 9122.
The big ideas behind getset
- A little bit of help at the right time makes a big difference. We want to help you solve small problems before they become big ones.
- Support where it suits you. Children’s Centres will still be important, but we will also make use of other places to make it easier to get the help you want.
- A ‘one stop shop’. Where you see a getset sign, you’ll know you’ve come to the right place. If the people you find there can’t help you, they’ll be able to help you find the people who can.
- Deciding with you what support you need. Everyone is different and we will work with you to find the right way forward for you and your family.
- Working as one. There are lots of people in different organisations who can help. getset will bring them together and make them work as one for you.